In the year 1958, Eastern Gate Lodge felt it would be desirable to form a daughter Lodge. At their Lodge Committee Meeting held on 30th July 1958, a sub-committee consisting of W Bro SW Peers, W Bro EJ Bowles and W Bro KA Suckling was appointed to make a feasibility study. The sub-committee, after investigation and discussion with the District Grand Master RW Bro EG Holiday recommended the formation of a daughter Lodge.
The proposed name for the new Lodge was “Lodge Pulau Brani” as Pulau Brani was the birth place of Eastern Gate Lodge. However, the District Grand Master suggested naming the new Lodge “Centenary Lodge” to commemorate the District Grand Lodge Centennial (December 1858 to December 1958). This suggestion was accepted and that was how the Lodge got its name.
Subsequently, a petition was forwarded to the Most Worshipful Grand Master requesting for a Warrant to form a new Lodge named “Centenary Lodge”. As a result, this Centenary Lodge No 7629 EC was constituted by virtue of the Warrant signed on 4th December 1958 by the Most Worshipful Grand Master of the United Grand Lodge of England.
Centenary Lodge was consecrated on Wednesday 27th May 1959 by R.W. Bro. E.G. Holiday, the District Grand Master. One-hundred-and-forty-six Brethren attended the Consecration Ceremony and on the same day W. Bro. S.W. Peers was installed as Charter Master.
As Centenary Lodge was initially a military Lodge, W. Bro. C.H. Withers-Payne designed the crest for the Lodge Badge and Banner incorporating the emblems of the three services, namely, the Lion, the Anchor, and the Eagle, with Chinese characters “百年” indicating the Centenary (a hundred years) and the Square and the Compasses.